Chairperson of Committees and the Deputy Chairperson of Committees.
The Chairperson of Committees is the chairperson of the Committee of Chairpersons established under Rule 171 of the Standing Rules. The Committee performs the following functions:
- Coordinates the activities of committees and the scheduling of committee meetings;
- Ensures that business plans for all portfolio and standing committees are adopted and implemented;
- Budgets are compiled for all committees;
- NCOP business is dealt with speedily and according to time frames;
- Provide guidance and advice to chairpersons of portfolio and standing committees pertaining to the Rules and to procedures and functions;
- Facilitate capacity-building of chairpersons and committee members;
- Ensure that committees function effectively;
- Ensure that committees are provided with effective infrastructural and administrative support systems;
- Monitor and report on the performance of the parliamentary liaison officers;
- Preside over the House in the absence of the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker and over meetings of the House in Committee.
The Deputy Chairperson of Committees assists the Chairperson of Committees in the performance of his or her functions.