Hon. N Simelane-Zulu
Party:African National Congress
Phone:034 995 2218/034 983 3490
The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health wishes to express a warm and hearty welcome to the newly-appointed KZN Health MEC Ms Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu.
Until recently an ANC provincial spokesperson and provincial executive committee member, Ms Simelane-Zulu (42) is now responsible for the health needs of more than 80% of the province’s population who use the public health sector. She now presides over 700 health facilities, including hospitals, community health centres, clinics, and mobile clinics.
The Department of Health is familiar territory for Dobsonville-born and Newcastle-based Ms Simelane Zulu, who served as a Parliamentary Liaison Officer for the Department from 2005 to 2008. A qualified lawyer and seasoned political campaigner, she has also served in a number of key strategic positions, including chairing the KZN Youth Commission; and as a senior manager in the KZN Office of the Premier.
She holds a BA in law and an LLB from the University Of Natal (University of KwaZulu-Natal); and a certificate in Governance from Wits University, and is currently studying towards a Master’s Degree in Political Science, which she started last year.
She has also served as a Member of Provincial Legislature and Whip, and was later appointed Chairperson of the Agriculture Portfolio Committee (2014 to date). Her leadership roles include being:
- Branch treasurer for the ANC Youth League (Dobsonville) from 1992- 1993;
- Branch secretary for the SA Students Congress (University of Natal, PMB Campus) from 1997 to 1998;
- Branch Chairperson: ANC Youth League ( University of Natal, PMB Campus) from 1999 to 2001;
- Secretary of the Law Student Society (University of Natal, PMB Campus) from 1999 – 2000;
- Chairperson of the Black Lawyers Association (student Chapter, UNP campus) from 2000 to 2001;
- Branch Secretary, 2002 to 2004;
- ANC Youth League Provincial Executive Committee and Provincial Treasurer, from 2003 to 2010;
- Regional treasurer: ANC Regional Executive Committee: Abaqulusi Region from 2010 to 2011. She then became regional chairperson from 2011 until 2014: and;
- PEC member: ANC Provincial Executive Committee (KZN) from 2015 to date.
Acting Head of Department Dr Musa Gumede said: “We wish to congratulate and welcome Ms Simelane Zulu on board. We look forward to the journey ahead with full confidence of her leadership and management qualities, as we continue to tackle the health challenges confronting the province. As the political head of the Department, we have no doubt that under her stewardship, this province will consolidate and accelerate the numerous gains that have been made to improve the quality of – and access to healthcare services in the province.